Thursday, March 29, 2012

American Red Cross Month- March 29th

I know that since advocating blood donation through the American Red Cross is my platform, it seems like I'm always pushing for you to donate! This month I've been especially persistent, I know. I'm sure there comes a point when you all are thinking, "Well is she ever going to stop?" To put is simply, absolutely not! Even after March is over, I will still insist that you donate just as much as I do now. Why, you ask? The blood bank isn't going to magically restore itself. The need for blood transfusions isn't going to disappear. There will ALWAYS be a need for blood. That is why I will continue to be pushy and persistent.


Even though I'm encouraging each and every one of you to donate, there is an interesting statistic I came across that I wanted to share with you. It's striking, but less than a mere 38% of the population are actually eligible to give blood. So that means 62% of the population can't donate, even if they want to. Now this could be for a number of reasons. Before you make it to the donor's chair, you take part in a survey asking an assortment of questions and a certain answer to one of those questions could rule you out. Your iron level, blood pressure, and other vitals are checked before you donate so any one of those things could prevent you from giving. Other abnormalities in the blood and infections could also keep you out of the donor's chair. Now you may be thinking, "Well how do I know if I can donate or not?" The answer to that is if you aren't sure, just try! You'll never know if you don't simply try. Even if you are told you are ineligible, in my eyes you are still just as much of a hero for attempting to donate. Doing your part and making the effort is just as appreciated, I can guarantee it. 


Here are tomorrow's (March 30th) blood drives in South Carolina:*
Chapin High School- Chapin
Chesterfield General Hospital- Cheraw
*All dates and locations were obtained via the official American Red Cross Website


Just a quick note! TOMORROW, I will be at the Hartsville BI-LO from 3 PM until 7 PM collecting donations for a local charity! Stop by after work to pick up a few groceries and come see me to donate and make a difference! I hope to see you there!



No comments:

Post a Comment